The Platt MR550 Shielded Ring Mount fitted with the M134D 7.62mm Minigun from Dillon Aero combines one of the most widely adopted manned weapon stations with the world’s most devastating close-range fire support weapon system. Initially developed for special operations units of the Finnish Army, the MR550 with Minigun is a fully integrated weapon station package which supports the M134D Minigun weapon, power supply, ammunition and ammunition feed subsystems. Protection for the gunner from blast and kinetic threats is provided by side and front shields, with the weapon able to traverse 360° and elevate/depress to engage targets in a variety of terrain and complex environments. Baseline armor protection is STANAG 4569 Level 1 with protection packages available up to STANAG 4569 Level 3. Lightweight, low profile and with the choice of manual or powered operation via Platt’s fully integrated electric drive (eDrive), the MR550 with Minigun is also a cost-effective alternative to remote weapon systems for light and medium weight armored vehicles. The MR550 Shielded Ring Mount is currently fitted to the Brazilian M113, British Army/Royal Marine BvS10 Viking, British Army FV432 Bulldog, British Army Warthog, US Army/Marine Corps RG-31, Swedish and Finnish RG-32M, and Netherlands Marine Corps BvS10 Viking.
The Platt eDrive kit provides battery-powered traverse for ease of weapon station operation on sloped or uneven terrain and reduced operator fatigue.
- Powered by self-contained 24VDC battery pack
- Optional solar charging of batteries
- System Control Module (SCM) to manage eDrive power supply; with battery voltage status indicator
- Minimal electrical burden on vehicle (24VDC, 5A charging)
- Up to 2 hours continuous rotation on battery power alone
- System does not intrude on vehicle interior volume
- Joystick motion control with dead-man trigger and optional weapon firing
- Weapon station rotation speed: 6–10 rpm
- Rotation of weapon station on 30˚ inclines
- Manual operation override for redundancy
- Minimal operator training required
- Retrofit to existing ring mounts or supplied integrated into new-build ring mounts